Thursday, January 6, 2011

Somethun' Funny 01-03-11



   A slight departure from my earlier vlogs on Youtube in that it is built on a bass line rather that rhythm guitar, a direction I first explored with using the drums as the foundation of "Fightin' in the Streets." It also marks a shift in direction as I search for my musical persona - not really an assumed facade - but a style that reflects who I am and where I'm at as an artist expressing myself in words and music and images. I was a touch too late to be part of the beat generation but there was something in the poetry of the beats and their affinity for jazz and existentialism and buddhism and disenchantment with the moral hypocrisy of society that appealed to me. I tried to express it in painting but I was again too late for abstract expressionism. But I recently remembered on an old magazine from 1970 that I'd hung on to alluding to a link between surrealism, social liberation and rebellion against repression and oppression, and the blues. I can never authentically be a Delta blues singer but the poetic spirit of struggling for freedom to be fully human is shared by us all...

No comments:

Post a Comment